4.11.2007

Getting Philosophical

Riding curves is an art, and on this northern Nevada mountainside I finally did something beyond a doodle. The road was carved into the mountain and traversed the slope in curves and twists. The edge dropped off just feet from where my thigh cut through the open air, solid earth giving way to canyons and valleys. I leaned deeply into each turn, beaming, in joy and bliss and concentration - immersed in the exquisite thrill of being synchronized with the road and the ride.

In every curve there’s a moment that feels out of control. A common reflex stemming from fear, from the feeling of loosing control, is to squeeze the brakes in the center of the curve. Yet if fear is allowed in, trouble often follows. The key to riding curves is in the acceleration, not the breaking. We are meant to join forces with the momentum. A slight, steady increase in speed helps maintain the desired course. Curves ask us to lean into the abyss, to understand that letting go a little is what carries us through. Mastery comes from trusting enough to look beyond where you can see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a metaphor for life. Brake or run away from that which we are most scared of and trouble does most often follow. Join forces with the "momentum" and we are sped off to places beyond our wildest dreams.

Mastery comes from trusting enough to look beyond where you can see... Brilliant!

What an inspirational blog this is even for those of us who do not ride a bike.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and wise. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are back. This is the second entry in a couple of days!

Very insightful and provoking thoughts.
but please be careful!

I also enjoyed the photos with the horses. Keep writing. Any news about the book you were going to publish?

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you so sincerely for this entry. It is truly inspirational. I will print it out and add it to my journal.
You are an amazing woman and human being.

Anonymous said...

This entry is so great! In a past life, I too was a follower of the road, and came across curves outside of Prescott, AZ. I can totally relate! Thanks for writing about an event that so touched my life.

Anonymous said...

Love your writing and photos.

joker the lurcher said...

i still accelerate out of bends now i drive a car - the other day my friend said to me "you drive like you were riding a motorbike!" which i suppose is a sort of compliment...

David Levine, D.O. said...

With 122,000+ miles on the motorcycle I now have I was delighted and moved by your observations. Yes, it's all in the turns, isn't it? The changes of direction. Anyone can master the straights. It's the transformations that require aplomb.

Coyote Smiles said...

A biker's heart most eloquently described. Your self-amusement aside, you are most definitely a biker.