9.12.2006

Day One, Part One

On the first day of the trip, I rode from the Bay Area to Sacramento, CA, and it was unequivocally one of the worst, most horrific days of my life. It began soft and wondrous, setting out into the unknown adventure in the misty dawn, a scattering of stars still visible. The day grew light and warm as I rode past the cities and the suburbs to where the land opened up and the scent of sage was heavy in the air.

To get to the Central Valley and Sacramento, I had to cross the Diablo Range, a small range - certainly not mountains in the Western sense. I was too busy worrying about having to cross the Sierras the following day to give any fear to my morning's ride across the Diablos. I-580 is the main route of travel between the Bay Area and the Central Valley, but since I wanted to stay off the interstate, I chose what appeared to be a rather obscure secondary highway.

I approached this little highway via a lovely wooded road with no traffic, calm scenery and lots of birds. I was feeling so good, so in control, so right on the road. Things changed in an instant. The moment I turned onto the highway I was swept into chaos, into conditions of insanity - at least for me, on day one, on my tiny Vespa.

The highway itself was a two-laner, one lane for each direction and no divider in between. It wound up steeply in great sweeping curves, following the landscape of the dry hills, and it was packed with cars, trucks, and semis rushing in both directions.

Hypnotic golden hills of windmills rolled like waves in every direction, growing and dropping, overlapping to the blue-sky horizon. The huge spires of the windmills grew out of the ridges of the hills like rows of giant white flowers, their petals giant blades, spinning, mesmerizing.

I pushed the Vespa to 70 mph in an attempt to keep with the flow of traffic - at that speed, I felt like I was going to take flight, and still I was not going fast enough for the drivers behind me. There were no turn-offs, no shoulder at all; there was nowhere to go but straight ahead and straight ahead was a curve. A semi grill loomed enormous in my rearview mirrors, racing down the declines just feet behind me. One wrong move or jerky turn or hesitant reaction and I knew I would be laid out in a crash, the semi on top of me in a semi-second.

I nearly threw up inside my helmet twice from fear and desperate helplessness, and I could feel the moment when pure animal survival-instinct stepped in to overcome my rising panic and simply keep me upright. When we reached the Valley, the highway leveled out and I spotted a fruit stand. I pulled over, parked, and stood beside the highway, shaking.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great writing! I felt panic rising in me as I read and was relieved to be able to sit back in my chair, finally!
My pulse is now back to normal.

Anonymous said...

I love it.I'm going to ride with you all the way. Be careful! Aren't there smaller roads you can find?

Steve Williams said...

That kind of travel on a Vespa is draining. I've done it a few times and just hate it.

Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I admire you for having a first day like that and still pushing forward. I would've chickened out I think.

Randall Clague said...

Sounds like Patterson Pass Road. I've been on that road once - in my car - and I'll never do it again. Congratulations on surviving the Patt!

-R

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

The Universe has quite a sense of humor, doesn't it? It was like "Let's see what this little gal is made of on her first day out."

Hopefully it all got easier after that.

harold hollingsworth said...

so well written, having driven on that very stretch of freeway, I understand completely!

Libba said...

meeeeeeerrrcy!

renovatio said...

I felt similarly when riding my first rental Harley from airport-ish Las Vegas back into Boulder City that afternoon. Plus - high winds. I wasn't prepared to that heavy-ass thing shaking and bouncing like a wild pony in the high desert winds, with me having had little to zero driving experience in quite a while and being ill-equipped in terms of clothing (the helmet almost blocked my view from being turned left from the lateral winds, the jacket was filled with hot air from them same winds, I was afraid I was gonna shoot up in the sky any minute or run over by one of them trucks as you aptly describe 'em...).

You have all my admiration to have continued as I took the Harley back the very next day and exchanged it for a SUV to get me and my camera to Grand Canyon West - one of my wiser decisions in hindsight. I wouldn't have made it to the newly opened Hualapai Skywalk that day, as I spotted two bikers turning away from the gravel road that very next day...

Had it been for the driving experience, I might have kept the 1200 Fat Boy, but... I wanted to see the Skywalk.

Kudos to your stamina!

Kitty said...

I feel for you! I hope I can be 1/10th as brave!

The SL Hybrid Hunt said...

Nice blog yyou have